Tuesday 9 February 2010

“Well, I guess we’ll have to meet in Switzerland”

I haven’t posted in a few days, but I should be excused. It has been quite a busy few days. First of all, I worked all day Saturday and Sunday so that we could a different paper back to the editor, this time to SIAM Review. (SIAM is the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.) Most importantly, I had to plan for the Super Bowl, which was on TV here from 11:00pm – 3:30 am. The Grey Horse wouldn’t be open at those hours. More about the Super Bowl in a subsequent post.

Then, on Monday, you see I had to sleep for most of the day after the Super Bowl. When we lived in Germany, the US Army always gave us Super Bowl Monday off. I was pretty sure no one would care (or even notice) if I took most of Super Bowl Monday off. Nonetheless, I was in the office by half noon (12:30) working some more on the SIAM Review article and preparing for a very important meeting this week.

You see, this week I am at a brainstorming meeting. We are meeting to discuss research ideas and directions for analysis dictionary learning. I know nothing about this subject, but was invited along. The hard part is, during the last meeting, when discussing the venue for the next meeting, they were hoping for something more interesting than London. One of the main guys on the grant suggested he host the meeting near Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne. Someone asked precisely where, and he said a ski lodge. At that point, the head of the grant announced, “Well, I guess we’ll have to meet in Switzerland,” and they settled on the mountain resort town of Villars, Switzerland. If it wasn’t already dark here, I’d take a picture of the view out my window. So, I’m in Switzerland after two planes and two trains and many hours of travel. The venue for this meeting is, well, how should I describe this… ridiculous; it’s Switzerland.

Best part of French speaking areas: saying my own name. Every time I say my name, someone looks at a list, and then looks at me like I am stupid. They ask me again, I say my name “Jeff Blanchard (blan-churd)”, and they look over the list a second time. Now they’re convinced I am not on the list, so I either point to my name or say it the way they read it.

“Oh,” they say, “zshe freigh blaughn –shawd.”

I reply, “Yes, indeed, Jeff Blanchard.”

One time, at a hotel in San Malo, France, this exchange took place. Then, the woman behind the counter laughs a bit, takes out her wallet, shows me an ID card on which her last name was Blanchard. Of course, she pronounced it blaughn shawd. Every morning, she made a big deal announcing my French name the first time I saw her. (That was funny. Here, they seem to just think I am so stupid I don’t know my own name.)

8 comments:

  1. All in favor of kicking Jeff in the shins the next time one sees him, yell "Aye"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AYE! Ha ha ha. This post made me laugh because Jeff has a pretty simple name. Poor Beaux may have to go through this exchange with his American teachers because he has a French name. "Bee-ox Blanc-card" I mean, a teaher would really have to be an idiot not to pronounce it right, but there are a lot of idiots out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I'm wearing ski boots, kicking me in the shin won't hurt now will it?

    Seriously, I may have accidentally done a bit of skiing today. It was lots of fun. I have now skied both the Austrian and Swiss Alps.

    If makes anyone feel better, I once fell so significantly that I slid down the mountain, on my back, head first, for a good twenty seconds. (That's a long time. right now, think of me accidentally getting backward and falling, look at your watch and wait 20 seconds.) Somone had to bring me one of my skis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI, Jeff. Your great grandfather, William Bertrand Blanchard, was born in Malleray, Switzerland, on September 7, 1886. He lived there until he was 18. His father and he pronounced their name just the same way everyone in Switzerland is pronouncing it! That nice lady Blanchard is probably a cousin so be nice to her:) Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. AYE as well. Good night man! Switzerland? I knew I should have studied those numbers harder...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeff,

    They don't think you're stupid, they are just floored that a french name does not get to to be pronounced any other way than the way they have learned it.

    For that matter, I have never been able to say my family name correctly in English either.

    Igor.
    http://nuit-blanche.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Igor,

    Your ability to find anything remotely related to compressed sensing is truly amazing. It's an honor to have you on my tiny little blog. Thanks for dropping by.

    I know they don't really think I'm stupid. They seem to think my pronunciation is novel. When the connection is finally made, there's generally a smile with gaurded warmth as they are suspicious I might be trying to sneak in under a false name.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeff...I can relate to your dilemma. The pronunciation problems are not isolated to the beautiful borders of Europe. As a Jeff Blanchard in the states, I have endured countless versions of our name. The usual is "Blank Herd". This is especially tough as a performer being intorduced onstage. At least your vesion trips off the tongue so nicely. Perhaps we should compile a list of all the versions of our name!

    Jeff Blanchard
    (or however you would like to pronounce it)

    ReplyDelete