Thursday 8 April 2010

Bowmore Darkest, Islay

I’ve never had a Bowmore. I tried to buy a set of 3 20cl Bowmore’s in the airport, but the lovely chap reminded me that when I got to Chicago, I’d have to check the liquid since you must reclear security. Next time I fly home, there will be room in my luggage. I decided that my first Bowmore will be one that is not in that trifecta. I understand that Bowmore is the mildest of the Islay (by the way, this is pronounced (eye-lah) whiskies.

Bowmore Darkest
Islay
43% abv

Color: Wow, it’s really dark; a cherry wood finish.

Nose: salty and full bodied, smoky, felt in the sinus. The smell says, “I dare you to taste me.” (After a few sips: fun to smell, smells sweeter.)


Palate: wow, incredibly smooth, a bit sour, not as smoky as it smells.


Finish: building smoke, lingers while tasty, extremely pleasant.


Overall: confirms what I heard about Bowmore: the gentle one from Islay. It was great and very complex. It made me say wow twice. I liked it a lot. (Trend Alert: I haven’t disliked a whisky yet.)

2 comments:

  1. Bowmore is the only Islay I have not tried and this makes my mouth water. So jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read your review and was going to post this comment there but I was afraid it might get lost so here goes:

    I went to a Scotch tasting a couple of weeks ago and it is funny you mentioned the price. Did you know that more than half of the cost that we pay here in the US is due to taxes. The distillerys are taxed when each barrel is capped. It is also taxed for every year it is in a barrel. It is ALSO taxed when it is bottled. There is also a tax when it is shipped overseas. Next each distributer is taxed where finally the buyer (end comsumer)is taxed. So by that count if you have a 15 year bottle of Oban it will have been taxed a total of 20 times.

    ReplyDelete