Tuesday 27 April 2010

Laphroaig 10yr, Islay, 40%

I wonder how much previous exposure influences your brain. I hope it isn’t this much. Are we really just puppets? Elpeebee had commented that Laphroaig was much like drinking a glove. The menu had medicinal in the first word. Is that why my review is as it is? Maybe the menu, Elpeebee, and I are all just correct simultaneously. For example, I knew it was complete rubbish when people were saying the Bengals were good last year.

Laphroaig 10yr
Islay
40% abv

Color: like a gold coin, oily, spots of darkness and spots that look clear, changing.

Nose: smells like a campfire by the ocean. Seriously. It smells like smoky salt water.


Palate: initially, it’s like cough syrup from the ‘80s. Remember when Nyquil wasn’t flavored, the green one?


Finish: splash of sweetness followed by a strong, hot aftertaste. Waxy and oily but not too oily. The aftertaste lingers, because, well, the beverage lingers.


Overall: so it’s way better than Nyquil, but I really thought of that when I first drank it. It’s fine. If I was given the choice between Laphroaig 10yr and Wild Turkey, I’d take the Laphroaig, but this is certainly in last place amongst the Islay malts I’ve ever had: Lagavulin, Bowmore, Ardbeg.

1 comment: