Monday 22 March 2010

Glenlivet, 12yr, Speyside

Today, I post a review I meant to post two weeks ago. If you have had a single malt, there’s a good chance it was this one. Now I like me some Glenlivet, but it would be a shame to drink Glenlivet in Scotland unless you were visiting their distillery. I say this because it is so fantastically easy to find in the USA. For example, I found this rendition aboard a United flight to San Antonio to attend the 13th International Conference on Approximation Theory.

Glenlivet 12yr
Speyside
40% abv

Color: Golden, but I couldn’t really see it in the poor lighting of the first class cabin.

Nose: sweet, fruity, hints of cinnamon. (After a few sips, it’s even sweeter smelling with the cinnamon fading.)


Palate: spicy, not as smooth as it smells, still a comfortable, fruity whisky with a bit of zing.


Finish: surprisingly harsh and a taste of alcohol, then bitter, and a warming but not a burn.


Overall: pretty good, but not an all star. This is one of the largest single malts in the world based on distribution and is #1 in the USA. The nose is the best part; it was very nice to smell. (Actually, the best part was that it was free in the first class cabin and the poor saps in coach didn’t even have the option to buy it … only a blend back there for the discounters.)

6 comments:

  1. Often confused with the also famous Glenlivet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, those poor saps in coach. That would be the rest of us Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I meant Glenlivet. I know what it's called. I fixed it out of embarassment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah...wait a minute...First Class? WTF? BTW I'm up to 2.7km with 8 days to go. How many push-ups have you done?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paulie, 2.7km with 8 days to go is pretty good. Do .5km in the next 8 days and consider an 800 per week a successful March. Then in April, 5km will be a breeze.

    So, doing a 1000 push-up isn't really swimming 5km. In fact, it's not at all about difficulty, but more about remembering to do push-ups. I'm at 840.

    I fly a lot, roughly averaged 40k miles per year over the last three years. So, with 80% of those miles on United, I have status (albeit the lowest possible). This gets me upgraded whenever I am the highest status passenger not sitting in an empty first class seat. I have had this happen 3 times. I'm really a discounter back in coach which is how I know that in that cabin, it costs $6 for one tiny bottle of Dewars.

    (For the record, I've never spent $6 for a drink on a plane, my dear wife.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3.3km
    5k swim isn't really all that tough - I had just done a straight mile when I got bronchitis and quit swimming for about 6 months, but now I'm getting back into it... slowly... The main challenge is in getting my wife to let me go to the pool when it's open (which is when Finn is awake).

    ReplyDelete