Tuesday 30 March 2010

Oban, 14yr, Highland

Much of my whisky reviewing has been bogged down on Oban. It came with such high praise from my two most frequent commenters, Matt and Elpeebee. I had it once, but was with some others so I couldn’t exactly dig in and take mental notes, let alone written notes. I then opted for Oban again when a friend was buying at a bar in San Antonio (it’s a wee bit more expensive at a bar in the US than at a pub in Edinburgh; $11 versus £2.50 = $4). I knew I liked it, but I don’t recall being overwhelmed. So I went to Leslie’s and gave it a proper review. It seems dangerous to review a whisky that the only two whisky review readers on this blog already have a strong, set opinion for. I tried not to let them taint me.

Oban 14yr
Highland
43% abv

Color: It’s the color of resin. (When I was trying to place the color, my mind immediately jumped to the scene in Jurassic park where the resin has preserved the prehistoric mesquito.) {The color category, I’ve decided, is stupid. Look, it’s whisky. It has roughly the same color as other whiskies, some are a bit lighter and some are a bit darker. Anyway, I tried very hard to describe this one and have decided that I will try less hard in the future. Would you really not drink a fabulous whisky because you didn’t like its color?}

Nose: nicely strong, you can feel it in the nostrils. It is sweet, and smells exactly like my brains idea of what good whisky should smell like. You know it has alcohol, but the scent is inviting, not revolting. (After a few sips: even better, now also a little spicy.)


Palate: pumpkin pie spices, soft, warming, peppery. It’s like adult candy.


Finish: boldness that fades quickly and leaves a warmth which gently disappears.


Overall: delightful but dangerous. It seriously tastes like candy and smells like baked goods. The finish is lovely and fades so quickly it isn’t very easy to pace yourself. These are all nice features save the 43% alcohol content. If you’re strong-willed, put this on your shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment