Friday 21 May 2010

Bruichladdich Peat, Islay

With all of my working and traveling and drinking beer, I have been slacking on the single malts. This one I had a few weeks ago with some friends.This is from memory, not from notes, although I wrote this one night after drinking it.

I can’t taste all the single malts in Scotland (although I can try), but I do think it is reasonable to taste all the distilleries from Islay. So, I have kissed the fruits of Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Laphraoig, Bowmore, and Caol Ila. That leaves Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain, and Port Ellen. Since Port Ellen was shuttered 20+ years ago, all the Port Ellen is $200 per bottle. I’m pretty sure I’ll have to skip Port Ellen. But, I did manage to reduce the remaining unknowns of Islay by having a dram of Bruichladdich Peat.

Bruichladdich Peat
Islay
46% abv

(Color has been removed permanently. Stupid category.)

Nose: sweet, smoked bacon but not overwhelming. Very nice.


Palate: the first drink seemed incredibly warm, almost burning. Tastes like a smoky whisky but is balanced very well by sweetness.


Finish: It is incredibly smooth given it smells so substantial. The smoke stays with you but the sweetest is more profound in the finish. If you burned a cinnamon stick and a candy cane in a bowl, the smoke of such a fire would probably accurately portray this finish.

Overall: The first intake made me think it was alright, the second that it was good, but not special. The third changed my mind to very good and a competitor. By the end, I was thinking, “I wonder how expensive this is because it is as good as the Ardbeg and Caol Ila.” (The cheapest one wins.) I would say this is a very enjoyable liquid and certainly worth a try.

That leaves me with me the following Islay ranking:
Tier 1: Lagavulin and Bowmore (Darkest)
Tier 2: Bruichladdich, Caol Ila, Arbeg
Tier 4: Laphroaig

(Yes, I know that’s a 4.)

No comments:

Post a Comment