Sunday 2 May 2010

Push-Update

So you may recall that at the beginning of April I stated I would do at least 2000 push-ups in April. All was going remarkably well. On April 14 I had completed 1455 push-ups. I was pacing to shatter my goal of 2000. Then something happened. I can’t quite put a finger on it.

Oh yeah, I stopped doing push-ups. I did 85 over the next 13 days. So it was April 28 (1540) when I realized I was about to fail a self-imposed challenged not because of injury or conflicting obligations, but because I had given up. It turned to midnight, no push-ups. I now had 48 hours to complete 460 push-ups. Yikes, that was nearly half of my goal for all of March. So I cranked out 90 and went to bed. When I woke up, I was sure I was defeated. I still had 370 push-ups to go. But I did sets of 30 or 40 and busted out another 250 before midnight. So the 24 hours that was April 29 was witness to 340 push-ups. Now I was saved if I wasn’t too sore to do any more.

The next day I was sore, but not too sore. I did 90 before I went to work. That evening I went lawn bowling with Jared and Cora (more on that later) and went home relatively late. Just before 11:30pm, I realized I had a few more to do, so I rolled off 31 so as to exceed my goal.

2001 push-ups in April

(17% of them on April 29)

3451 since March 1

So what about for May? What's my challenge this month? I like the idea of doing two thousand push-ups as I really want to get to ten thousand. However, I feel a bit silly breaking them all up into little sets of 30 or 40. So, I'm going to build push-up endurance by starting in week four of the 100 push-up challenge wildly named onehundredpushups. When I am done, I'm buying a t-shirt. Who wants to do this with me?

PS: After posting with large gaps in between, I posted two in a row here over the weekend. Scroll.

2 comments:

  1. Can I do something else? What about hitting golf balls? Or minutes on the Wii Fit? I just don't feel the urge to do that many pushups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you can hit golf balls, but only because everyone needs something to bolster their excuse to the spouse for going to hit golf balls. In exchange for permission to use my name in your debauchery, you must also do minutes on Wii Fit: the strength building exercises!

    ReplyDelete