Monday 17 May 2010

Cambridge, Part II

These are some more pictures of my trip to Cambridge. The point here is that they are a bit lighter than the previous post. Let's get the two serious pictures out of the way. First, we have the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences (had to be shared).


Second, we have the gate of honor. I pulled a cheapo move and listened to a guided tour I wasn't a part of. This gate is for Trinity College and is only opened once a year. There are three gates, Humility (students pass under this everyday), Virtue (students pass under this to go eat I think) and Honor. This is only opened after exams for the graduating students. It is open for one day for them to pass in and out. Best part of that story was after he finished, a janitor came out the small door in the middle carrying a tea kettle. Everyone laughed and the guide was distraught!


Notice that on all sides of the clock tower, the clocks are sun dials. Awesome!

Anyone want to watch a wee match of little league? Yes, indeed, one must take a photo of little league cricket!


Now onto the garb. The students and faculty still where academic gowns regularly, althought I forgot to find out exactly who, when, and why. But, people would be walking around wearing gowns. I thought they looked very Harry Potter as daily wear, so I will henceforth call them cloaks. You can tell by length of sleeve and length of cloak what status a person holds. I knew someone who would like to see this, so I hid in the bushes to take a picture of a lad in a cloak crossing the street. Stupid Taxi.


Then I chased him like paparazzi!


On Thursday night, my host had a conflict so I went and walked around town myself. I took many pictures, but felt the need to share this public lawn bowling green in one of the parks.


I ended up eating fish and chips in a pub, the Baron of Beef, and drinking a few pints. I worked a bit behind the bar; good times!


I had sampled a few ales and had just enough guinness to get lost on the way home. Fortunately, I ran into these two. With those smart cloaks on, I knew they'd know the way. Thanks guy with the GPS ap on his iphone for directions and letting me taking your picture!

2 comments:

  1. You should have asked them which way to Diagon Alley. That is so Harry Potter.

    Wicked cool you got to be behind the bar. Do you remember what was on tap? I can't read them from the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, if you click on the picture, it will blow up and you can read the taps. This is only half of them. To the left of the frame is another entire set. I drank the Abbot Ale and the Old Speckled Hen, then Guinness. The Ale's were good but not amazing; I preferred the Abbot.

    ReplyDelete